About Garway

Garway is in a beautiful setting on a south-facing slope of the Monnow valley in Herefordshire. Tgarway-os-mapGarway-os-maphe banks of the river Monnow, which separate England from Wales, were settled by early man and the Romans built a fort at the narrowest part of the Valley between Garway Hill and the Graig Hill. From the 12th to the 16th centuries the manor of Garway was owned by the Knights Templars and the Knights Hospitallers, who built the church (St Michael's) in 1180 and the beautifully preserved dovecote in 1326.

The parish is a scattered community with no main centre but with several small hamlets. At the Turning is St Michael's church, the Baptist chapel and where a hundred years or so ago were shops, post office and a forge.Garway Church and the Turning The Garway Moon Inn, in another part of the parish, looks out over 23 acres of common land, part of which, by the efforts of the villagers, has been made into a fine cricket and sports field.

High on the slopes of Garway Hill is the hamlet of White Rocks. It is probable that this was a much larger community in the Middle Ages. Now there are scattered cottages and small farms which have grazing rights on Garway Hill common, which rises to 1200 ft. Right at the other end of the village, almost seven miles from White Rocks, is a hamlet on the crossroads called Broad Oak. Here there was once a toll gate and a little round toll house. The `Broad Oak' is a very old tree which stands in front of the former inn.Garway Hill 25000 OS Map

Almost all the land in Garway is farmed and there are some very old farmhouses. The population is now small at about 390 people but a hundred years ago there were more than 500 people in a thriving self sufficient community. It was the 1930s before water was piped to the village and the 1950s before electricity was installed. Garway is fortunate in still having its school and there is also a sub-post office for 2 hours a week in the village hall.