Garway is a village in southwest Herefordshire, lying approximately equidistant from Hereford, Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth. Above the village stands Garway Hill, a prominent local landmark rising to over 1200 feet.
The land in the vicinity of Garway Hill has traditionally been owned by the Lord of the Manor of Garway although over the course of centuries the large farming estates have been sold off and broken up. The top of the hill used to be regarded as the Waste of the estate, unsuitable for intensive agriculture and over time the upper reaches gained the status of being a Common - an area of land which still remained in the possession of the Lord of the Manor, but over which some rights of usage had been passed to local residents. This situation has continued to this day and Garway Hill Common is still used for limited stock grazing by local farmers and residents.
From the top of the Hill there is a view of seven counties in a 360-degree panorama. White mountain horses graze there most of the year and raise their foals amongst the bracken. Sheep roam freely. A pond near the summit provides a water supply for the animals which lasts all the year round, despite there being no visible source to keep it topped up. The pond is also home to a protected species of newt.
The hill teems with bird life - 70 species have been recorded here - and there are butterflies in profusion. All this nature is being encouraged by a land management plan organised by the Garway Hill Commoners' Association with funding from Natural England. This seeks to improve the natural environment and the Hill's grazing qualities by reducing bracken cover. Over time, the plan will deliver more open grassland, which will in turn promote improved plant species diversity and encourage endangered species of ground-nesting birds to flourish.